"Recopying" your File Name and Path to the Windows Clipboard
1099 E-Filing Overview
Applying for a Transmitter Control Code (TCC)
Checking Size of Uploaded File
FIRE System Upload: Navigating to your File
Navigating the IRS FIRE System Website
Printing Summaries and Reports
Payroll Return E-filing
E-filing Forms 94x with Payroll System
Modifying Your IRS E-file Application to E-file Forms 94x
Requirements to E-File Forms 94x
CA Forms DE 9 and DE 9C
Texas C3/C4 Employer's Quarterly Report
How do I back up/restore my data?
How do I backup to and restore from a CD or DVD?
How do I configure automatic backup?
How do I find missing backup data?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new computer?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new server?
How do I send client data to a colleague via email?
Why does Financial Planning Tools indicate restore database is being shared?
Why is the program not automatically backing up?
How do I download and install an update from within the program?
How do I download and install the single user version of a program?
How do I install a program or update in "safe mode?"
How do I install programs from CD?
How do I manually download and install an update?
How do I map a network drive?
How do I perform a network setup?
How do I perform a workstation setup?
What is the purpose of a network license?
Why does my desktop shortcut open the installer?
Why does the setup tell me to reboot the computer?
License Code/Firm Information
How do I change my address or firm name?
How do I edit my license code/firm information?
How does my license code work?
Where can I find my Customer ID number?
Where can I find my license code?
Why can't I call to update my firm name/address?
Why does my license code change?
Why does the installer tell me my license code is invalid?
Can I get a user’s manual for CFS programs?
Do I need a network license?
How do I contact CFS for technical support?
How do I print to a PDF?
How many computers am I licensed for?
Where can I get help for Fill-N-Print?
Where's my W2/1099 program?
Why aren't all the programs I ordered on the CD?
Why can't I order forms and envelopes over the phone?
Why didn’t you tell me to renew my programs?
Why do I need a MyCFS account?
Why does CFS no longer send renewal packets?
Instructions and Procedures
CSV Import Guidelines
Connecting to an Existing Network Database
Creating a New Network Database
Entering Data at a Client's Office
Health Insurance Compensation for 2% Owners of S-Corps
Hide/Display State Forms
Manually Importing Client Data From The Previous Year
Payroll System Database Reconstruction
Payroll System QuickBooks Import
Setting: Application Mode
Special Database Recovery Detail Instructions
Special Database Recovery Overview
Switching Between Single-User Mode and Network Mode
W2/1099: Transferring data between 1099-MISC form and 1099-NEC form
Where is the 4th Quarter 941 module for 2020?
CD install fails with message "Previous installation not found"
CFS Setup Runs Another Vendor's Installer
Error 12007 "Name not resolved" on Update from the Web
Error 12029 "Cannot Connect" on Update from the Web
Error 12031 when Downloading
Error 339 "File is not correctly registered" During Install
Error 339: CSCMD32.OCX etc failed to self-register
Error 339: THREED32.OCX is not correctly registered
Error 339: VSSPELL6.OCX failed to self-register
Error 35756 when Starting Program
Error 35761 when Attempting to Update
Error 35764 when Attempting to Update
Error 5001 on Installation
Error Message: "A previous version of [program] was not found..."
Error Message: "Not a Valid Win32 Executable"
Error Message: "Version of the application could not be determined"
Error Message: "Zip file damaged"
Move Data Process Error on Install
Setup Stalls During Full Install
Still Running Old Version after Update
Update Setup Reports File Is Locked
Update Setup Stalls
Error 16 when Printing Form
Error 2018: Page margins are too large, can't run report
Error 2019 when Printing Report
Error 429 when Printing Form
Error 482 when Trying to Print
Error 484 when Trying to Print
OCR-A (or OCR-ACFS) font is not properly installed
Program Crashes Without Error Message when Printing
"Small Fonts and Sans Serif can't be found" when Starting Program
"The feature you are trying to use..."
Error 1004: Error Accessing Database
Error 1706: No valid source could be found for product ( ). The Windows Installer cannot continue.
Error 3022 in Payroll System
Error 3031 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3045 in Payroll System
Error 3049 in Payroll System
Error 3050 in Payroll System
Error 3051 in Payroll System Network Installation
Error 3051 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3051: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file...
Error 3075 in Payroll System
Error 3112 in Payroll System
Error 3343 in Payroll System
Error 339: component missing or not properly registered
Error 3421 when Restoring Data
Error 3633 when Starting Payroll System
Error 3800 in Payroll System
Error 380: Invalid property value
Error 381: Invalid property array index
Error 400: Form already displayed; can't show modally
Error 429: ActiveX component cannot create object
Error 429: You don't have an appropriate license to use this functionality
Error 480: Can't create AutoRedraw image
Error 48: Trouble loading DLL
Error 52: Bad file name or number
Error 5: Invalid procedure call
Error 63 and Error 380
Error 6: Overflow
Error 7 when Starting Program
Error 70: Permission Denied
Error 75: Path/File Access Error
Error 9 and Error 381
Error 9 and Error 63
Error TX4OLE invalid property value 1-900
Items "Not Saved"
Message that something "needs to be installed" or "is on CD"
Your Network Data Is Read-Only
CFS Program Interface
Federal/State Tax Planner
Quick Reference Guide
Calendar and Notes
Data File List
Field Details for Numeric Fields
Label Setup Options
Repair Client Database
Using the Editor
Firm Information Screen
Importing/Exporting Client Data
Export Client List
Generic ASCII File Client List
Importing/Exporting Client Data
Lacerte Client List
ProSystem Client List
Table of Contents
Updated by Eric
To install software on a stand-alone personal computer follow these steps:
- Download the software installer from the CFS Software Download Page.
- Run the software installer.
- Since we will be installing to this computer, choose "To this computer as a single user" and click Next.
- When prompted to "Choose the Destination Location", it is recommended to install to the default location. Click Next.
- A Windows desktop shortcut for the software is automatically created by the software installer. Launch the program by double-clicking on the desktop shortcut.
- If you see this prompt, Windows is confirming you want to run the program.
- Run the software, then when prompted, log in with your email address and your firm's CFS Customer ID.Each user should use their own email address.
- When running the software for the first time you may be prompted for your firm's information. Firm information entered here will appear on printouts generated by the software.
A typical network installation is performed using one of the workstation computers (e.g. "Workstation 1" depicted below). The installer is run on Workstation 1 and it puts necessary files on the server (see First-Time Setup below. Then, it is installed to additional workstations (see Additional Workstation Setup at the end of this article).
Example First-Time Network Setup (shown above): A network consisting of 3 workstations and 1 server. A first-time setup is completed on Workstation 1.
The first-time setup will establish a network location for client data files and ensures the workstation performing the first-time setup can run the software.
Follow the steps below to perform a first-time software setup on a network:
- Download the software installer from the CFS Software Download Page
- When the download is complete run the software installer.
- Since we will be setting this up for use on a network, choose "To a multi-user network (Requires valid network license" and click Next.If you have not yet purchased the network license, please visit www.taxtools.com to place an order.
- On the next screen, there are two Browse buttons. One is for Program location and one is for Client data location.
- Program Location: it is recommended to leave the Program Location as the default (C:\Program Files (x86)\CFS Tax Software Inc\...)
- Client Data Location: This is the location where all workstations will access the same client data. Click Browse and use that dialog to select the network location, then click OK.If other CFS software is already on your network, we recommend choosing that existing location. Typically with most CFS software installations a folder named \CFSLIB is used for data storage and in some cases software storage. The software installer will automatically create data sub-folders inside the \CFSLIB folder.
- A Windows desktop shortcut for the software is automatically created by the software installer. IMPORTANT. At this point you can either launch the program and import clients from last year (recommended) or skip ahead to the Additional Workstation Setup (WSSETUP) section to install to other workstations.
- Use this shortcut to run the software.
- If you see this prompt, Windows is confirming you want to run the program.
- When prompted, log in with your email address and your firm's CFS Customer ID.Each user should use their own email address.
- When running the software for the first time you may be prompted for your firm's information. Firm information entered here will appear on printouts generated by the software.Firm information entered must match CFS records. To look up your firm information on the CFS website please log into your MyCFS Account.
- The first-time setup is complete. The program can now be installed to other workstations. See "Additional Workstation Setup (WSSETUP)" below.
Additional Workstation Setup (WSSETUP)
Example Workstation Setups (shown above): After the software had been installed on Workstation 1 and a client data folder selected on the Server, a workstation setup (WSSETUP) is performed on Workstation 2 and Workstation 3.
After the first-time setup (above) is completed the software can easily be installed on additional workstations by completing a workstation setup (WSSETUP) on each additional workstation that needs access to the software.
Follow the steps below to perform a workstation software setup (WSSETUP) on a network:
- Using Windows File Explorer navigate to the folder selected on the network during the first-time setup step 3 (above).
- Open the \WSSetup folder, then locate and run the setup.exe application. The workstation installer will automatically install the software on the local workstation and use a network location to store client data.
- A Windows desktop shortcut for the software is automatically created by the software installer. Use this shortcut to run the software.
- Each user can use the shortcut and, when prompted, login with their email address and the firm's CFS Customer ID.
- If this prompt is displayed it is Windows confirming the user wants to run the program.