"Recopying" your File Name and Path to the Windows Clipboard
1099 E-Filing Overview
Applying for a Transmitter Control Code (TCC)
Checking Size of Uploaded File
FIRE System Upload: Navigating to your File
Navigating the IRS FIRE System Website
Printing Summaries and Reports
Payroll Return E-filing
E-filing Forms 94x with Payroll System
Modifying Your IRS E-file Application to E-file Forms 94x
Requirements to E-File Forms 94x
CA Forms DE 9 and DE 9C
Texas C3/C4 Employer's Quarterly Report
How do I back up/restore my data?
How do I backup to and restore from a CD or DVD?
How do I configure automatic backup?
How do I find missing backup data?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new computer?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new server?
How do I send client data to a colleague via email?
Why does Financial Planning Tools indicate restore database is being shared?
Why is the program not automatically backing up?
Change printers in Windows 10
Change printers in Windows 7
Data Locations (Default)
Do W-2, W-3, 1099, or 1096 forms need to be printed on red forms or on plain paper in black ink?
Does CFS software save client data in the cloud?
How To Download And Install Software From The CFS Website
Importing from non-consecutive program years
Installing in demo mode
Software licensing and piracy protection
The top of the window is off screen
Using a License Code to access a program
Using an email address to access a program
Where to download CFS software
Workstation setup locations
How do I download and install an update from within the program?
How do I download and install the single user version of a program?
How do I install a program or update in "safe mode?"
How do I install programs from CD?
How do I manually download and install an update?
How do I map a network drive?
How do I perform a network setup?
How do I perform a workstation setup?
What is the purpose of a network license?
Why does my desktop shortcut open the installer?
Why does the setup tell me to reboot the computer?
License Code/Firm Information
How do I change my address or firm name?
How do I edit my license code/firm information?
How does my license code work?
Where can I find my Customer ID number?
Where can I find my license code?
Why can't I call to update my firm name/address?
Why does my license code change?
Why does the installer tell me my license code is invalid?
Can I get a user’s manual for CFS programs?
Do I need a network license?
How do I contact CFS for technical support?
How do I print to a PDF?
How many computers am I licensed for?
Where can I get help for Fill-N-Print?
Where's my W2/1099 program?
Why aren't all the programs I ordered on the CD?
Why can't I order forms and envelopes over the phone?
Why didn’t you tell me to renew my programs?
Why do I need a MyCFS account?
Why does CFS no longer send renewal packets?
Manual installation of a specific program from a CD
Reinstalling and repairing software
Instructions and Procedures
CSV Import Guidelines
Connecting to an Existing Network Database
Creating a new network database
Entering Data at a Client's Office
Health Insurance Compensation for 2% Owners of S-Corps
Hide/Display State Forms
Install Procedure - Add private database
Install Procedure - Continue private database next year
Manually Importing Client Data From The Previous Year
Payroll System Database Reconstruction
Payroll System QuickBooks Import
Setting: Application Mode
Special Database Recovery Detail Instructions
Special Database Recovery Overview
Switching Between Single-User Mode and Network Mode
W2/1099: Transferring data between 1099-MISC form and 1099-NEC form
Where is the 4th Quarter 941 module for 2020?
CA Sales Tax Preparer
MD Personal Property
NY Sales Tax Preparer
Small Business Tools
Client password protection
Importing clients from other CFS software into TaxTools WorkShop
Integrated knowledge base
Introduction to TaxTools WorkShop
Managing inactive clients
Search for clients, client's files, and tools
After installation the desktop shortcut icon is wrong
CD install fails with message "Previous installation not found"
CFS Setup runs another vendor's installer
Error 12007 "Name not resolved" on Update from the Web
Error 12029 "Cannot Connect" on Update from the Web
Error 12031 when Downloading
Error 339 "File is not correctly registered" During Install
Error 339: CSCMD32.OCX etc failed to self-register
Error 339: THREED32.OCX is not correctly registered
Error 339: VSSPELL6.OCX failed to self-register
Error 35756 when Starting Program
Error 35761 when Attempting to Update
Error 35764 when Attempting to Update
Error 5001 on Installation
Error Message: "A previous version of [program] was not found..."
Error Message: "Not a Valid Win32 Executable"
Error Message: "Version of the application could not be determined"
Error Message: "Zip file damaged"
Error: "Installed Version Could Not Be Determined"
Install / Uninstall: Setup Runs Another Vendor's Installer
Installer's Repair option freezes on EXE files
Mapped network drives are not visible during installation
Move Data Process Errors
Setup Stalls During Full Install
Still Running Old Version after Update
Update Setup Reports File Is Locked
Update Setup Stalls
Error 16 when Printing Form
Error 2018: Page margins are too large, can't run report
Error 2019 when Printing Report
Error 429 when Printing Form
Error 482 when Trying to Print
Error 484 when Trying to Print
Error 5003 during Print Preview
Forms print on both sides of the paper
OCR-A (or OCR-ACFS) font is not properly installed
Printing paychecks freezes Payroll System
Printouts are crunched into a small area at the top of the paper
Program Crashes Without Error Message when Printing
When printing red forms all pages are blank
"Download failed" error
"Error 9 Subscript Out Of Range" when trying to 'Add/Edit Payroll Data'
"Not Saved" message when saving Firm Information
"Not saved" message when entering or exiting program
"OCX File Missing" or "OCX File Not Registered" error after updating Windows
"Offline mode has expired"
"Small Fonts and Sans Serif can't be found" when Starting Program
"The feature you are trying to use..."
"Unable to open infobase"
An error occurred during the move data process: -214...
CFSSTRT: Program <File Name> was not Found in Folder <Folder Name> - Install may be Necessary
Component Not Registered or Component Missing error
Error 1004: Error Accessing Database
Error 1706: No valid source could be found for product ( ). The Windows Installer cannot continue.
Error 3022 in Payroll System
Error 3031 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3045 in Payroll System
Error 3049 in Payroll System
Error 3050 in Payroll System
Error 3051 in Payroll System Network Installation
Error 3051 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3051: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file...
Error 3075 in Payroll System
Error 3112 in Payroll System
Error 32765 when printing
Error 3343 in Payroll System
Error 339: component missing or not properly registered
Error 3421 when Restoring Data
Error 3633 when Starting Payroll System
Error 3800 in Payroll System
Error 380: Invalid property value
Error 381: Invalid property array index
Error 400: Form already displayed; can't show modally
Error 429: ActiveX component cannot create object
Error 429: You don't have an appropriate license to use this functionality
Error 480: Can't create AutoRedraw image
Error 48: Trouble loading DLL
Error 52: Bad file name or number
Error 53: File Not Found
Error 5: Invalid procedure call
Error 63 and Error 380
Error 6: Overflow
Error 7 when Starting Program
Error 70: Permission Denied
Error 75: Path/File Access Error
Error 9 and Error 381
Error 9 and Error 63
Error 94 - Invalid Use Of Null: When Trying To Add/Edit Payroll Data
Error TX4OLE invalid property value 1-900
Error Using Font - There was an error using the font OCR-ACFS [Payroll System Only]
Error: "An internet connection was not found"
Error: "The program cannot connect to the CFS server"
Form is missing text and/or graphics (boxes, shading and lines)
Items "Not Saved"
MICR Font Not Installed - The MICR font necessary to print on blank check stock is not installed
Message During Automatic Backup: Change Backup Location - The Specified Location Cannot Be Used For The Backup
Message that something "needs to be installed" or "is on CD"
Program freezes after displaying Error 52: "Bad file name or number"
QBXML Query Response Error
Your Network Data Is Read-Only
Importing Data from the Prior Year: Only Client Demographic Data is Imported, No Client Folder Data is Imported
Licensed software is stuck in demo mode
Modules do not load and no error is displayed
Troubleshooting internet connectivity
User Account Control (UAC) message: "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"
Direct Deposit in LivePayroll
Importing CSV files into Payroll System
Vacation and Sick Leave in LivePayroll
CFS Program Interface
Federal/State Tax Planner
Quick Reference Guide
Calendar and Notes
Data File List
Field Details for Numeric Fields
Formatting a field for SSN or EIN
Label Setup Options
Removing client password protection
Repair Client Database
Two ways to print from a module
Using the Editor
Display additional client information in the Client List
Firm Information Screen
Importing/Exporting Client Data
Export Client List
Generic ASCII File Client List
Importing/Exporting Client Data
Lacerte Client List
ProSystem Client List
Can my data automatically backup to the cloud?
Table of Contents
Updated by Eric
1099s can be E-Filed with Payroll System's E-File add-on.
The initial release of the CFS “W2/1099 E-File Add-On" will be in mid-December. The IRS FIRE System will not be in operation for 1099 e-filing until about January 8th. This guide will walk you through E-Filing 1099's.
An instructional video on this topic can be viewed here.
1099 E-Filing Checklist
- Have you created an account on the IRS FIRE System?
- Have you applied for and received your TCC Code?* (Form 4419, now e-filed via the Fire System)
- Have you purchased the CFS W2/1099 program and the W2/1099 E-File add-on?
- Have you prepared the 1099’s that you desire to e-file?
Opening the 1099 E-File Module
Upon opening Payroll System, you will see the following window:
As shown by arrows above, first Select “e-file/MagMedia” from the drop down menu. Then open: “Create 1098/1099/W-2G e-file/MagMedia Files” Module (click to select, then click "Load Module" Icon).
This is what the Module will look like once opened. Note the tabs for Steps 1 through Step 6 across the top. Simply “Click” on a tab to access a specific step. Begin with “Step 1 – Transmitter Data”:
Step 1: Transmitter Data
- Fill in completely with your Practitioner/Transmitter info.
- If you are a Practitioner transmitting for one or more companies, the “Company” Name and information should be yours (the company that owns the TCC, not the company(s) you’re transmitting for).
- Note the “Button” options at bottom.
- The “8809 Extensions” CANNOT be used to e-file an extension for a 1099-MISC with Box 7 income. Such extensions are not automatic and must be made using paper Form 8809, which can be found under “General Form/Utilities” in the Module Library.
- The “Store Login info” button can be used to store login information for the FIRE System and state sites.
- Once all fields are properly filled out, move on to Step 2.
Step 2: IRS File
- “Payers” for which you have prepared 1099’s are listed, along with Form type(s), Quantity, and “Status”. “Not Created” is the expected status--because you haven't yet “created” the E-File upload file.If a Payer is not listed, exit the module, and check to be sure that you have created and saved 1099(s) for that Payer.
- Select the Payer(s)/Form types(s) you wish to prepare for FIRE System Upload.A Payer may be listed more than once – Each form type for a Payer will be on a separate line (e.g. if a Payer is reporting rent income to a recipient on 1099-MISC, and Non-Employee compensation to other recipient(s) on 1099-NEC, there should be 2 lines for that Payer.It is recommended that 1099-MISC NEC forms be filed separately--either singly or with several Payers together--because of their January 31st due date.
- Select the Payer(s)/Form types(s) you wish to prepare for FIRE System Upload.
- In this example, only 1099-MISC NEC Payers/Form type have been selected. With your desired Payer(s) selected, click on the “Create File” button:
- A dialog box will appear. Click "Save" for the default file name and location (recommended).
- The path and file name are also copied to the clipboard, so that you can later paste them into the appropriate field on the FIRE System website (this will be illustrated later in the instructions).
- If the file is successfully created, a "File Created" message will appear.
Successfully “Created” (and saved) Payers/Form types will no longer appear in Step 2.
- Click “OK” to close the message above.
- If “Create File” was unsuccessful, a "Data Warnings" message (illustrated below) will show you a list of problems.
The Data Warning Payer(s)/Form(s) status In Step 2 will still indicate: "Not Created Data Errors" (in red). However, if you have corrected all of the problems, the file should be created this time. (If it isn't, you will receive another "Data Warnings" message listing problems that still need to be corrected.)
- You will need to exit this module, and correct the form files indicated in the Data Warning. Once all problems have been corrected, go back into the "Create 1098/1099/W-2G e-file/MagMedia Files" module (Step 2), and try to create the file again.
- You may now proceed to Step 3.
Step 3: IRS Submittal
In Step 3 you will CONNECT to the IRS FIRE System website to upload the file you have just created.
In the example above, there are two files: one that was previously created, and the one we just created in Step 2 (highlighted in blue). Note: the blue highlighting indicates we have selected this file to upload to the IRS FIRE System website.
Note that both files have similar names. However:
- The one that was created earlier ends in "-1"
- The one that was just created ends in "-2"
If you create additional files, they will continue to be numbered sequentially.
The box on the right lists the Payer’s name(s), Form Type(s), and Quantity of forms included in the highlighted file.
Please make note of the ”Saved File Name“ of your highlighted file (including any numerical ending). Also make note of your “File path/location” as explained below.
You will reference these while on the FIRE System website.
The yellow box indicates the “file path” (the file's location on your computer). Some users like to “Navigate” to their file location when on the FIRE website. However, the file path is also copied to your clipboard; you can use “Ctrl + V” to paste it into the appropriate field on the FIRE website.
- With your newly “created” file highlighted in blue, click on the “Connect” button to go directly to the FIRE System Login.
- Click OK.
- After clicking OK, you will be taken directly to the FIRE System Login. See Navigating the IRS File System Website to continue.
Step 4: State File
State procedure in Step 4 is quite similar to the Step 2: IRS File.
Step 5: State Submittal
State procedure in Step 5 is quite similar to the Step 3: IRS Submittal.