"Recopying" your File Name and Path to the Windows Clipboard
1099 E-Filing Overview
Applying for a Transmitter Control Code (TCC)
Checking Size of Uploaded File
FIRE System Upload: Navigating to your File
Navigating the IRS FIRE System Website
Printing Summaries and Reports
Payroll Return E-filing
E-filing Forms 94x with Payroll System
Modifying Your IRS E-file Application to E-file Forms 94x
Requirements to E-File Forms 94x
CA Forms DE 9 and DE 9C
Texas C3/C4 Employer's Quarterly Report
How do I back up/restore my data?
How do I backup to and restore from a CD or DVD?
How do I configure automatic backup?
How do I find missing backup data?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new computer?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new server?
How do I send client data to a colleague via email?
Why does Financial Planning Tools indicate restore database is being shared?
Why is the program not automatically backing up?
How do I download and install an update from within the program?
How do I download and install the single user version of a program?
How do I install a program or update in "safe mode?"
How do I install programs from CD?
How do I manually download and install an update?
How do I map a network drive?
How do I perform a network setup?
How do I perform a workstation setup?
What is the purpose of a network license?
Why does my desktop shortcut open the installer?
Why does the setup tell me to reboot the computer?
License Code/Firm Information
How do I change my address or firm name?
How do I edit my license code/firm information?
How does my license code work?
Where can I find my Customer ID number?
Where can I find my license code?
Why can't I call to update my firm name/address?
Why does my license code change?
Why does the installer tell me my license code is invalid?
Can I get a user’s manual for CFS programs?
Do I need a network license?
How do I contact CFS for technical support?
How do I print to a PDF?
How many computers am I licensed for?
Where can I get help for Fill-N-Print?
Where's my W2/1099 program?
Why aren't all the programs I ordered on the CD?
Why can't I order forms and envelopes over the phone?
Why didn’t you tell me to renew my programs?
Why do I need a MyCFS account?
Why does CFS no longer send renewal packets?
Instructions and Procedures
CSV Import Guidelines
Entering Data at a Client's Office
Health Insurance Compensation for 2% Owners of S-Corps
Hide/Display State Forms
Payroll System Database Reconstruction
Payroll System QuickBooks Import
Special Database Recovery Detail Instructions
Special Database Recovery Overview
CD install fails with message "Previous installation not found"
CFS Setup Runs Another Vendor's Installer
Error 12007 "Name not resolved" on Update from the Web
Error 12029 "Cannot Connect" on Update from the Web
Error 12031 when Downloading
Error 339 "File is not correctly registered" During Install
Error 339: CSCMD32.OCX etc failed to self-register
Error 339: THREED32.OCX is not correctly registered
Error 339: VSSPELL6.OCX failed to self-register
Error 35756 when Starting Program
Error 35761 when Attempting to Update
Error 35764 when Attempting to Update
Error 5001 on Installation
Error Message: "A previous version of [program] was not found..."
Error Message: "Not a Valid Win32 Executable"
Error Message: "Version of the application could not be determined"
Error Message: "Zip file damaged"
Move Data Process Error on Install
Setup Stalls During Full Install
Still Running Old Version after Update
Update Setup Reports File Is Locked
Update Setup Stalls
Error 16 when Printing Form
Error 2018: Page margins are too large, can't run report
Error 2019 when Printing Report
Error 429 when Printing Form
Error 482 when Trying to Print
Error 484 when Trying to Print
OCR-A (or OCR-ACFS) font is not properly installed
Program Crashes Without Error Message when Printing
"Small Fonts and Sans Serif can't be found" when Starting Program
"The feature you are trying to use..."
Error 1004: Error Accessing Database
Error 1706: No valid source could be found for product ( ). The Windows Installer cannot continue.
Error 3022 in Payroll System
Error 3031 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3045 in Payroll System
Error 3049 in Payroll System
Error 3050 in Payroll System
Error 3051 in Payroll System Network Installation
Error 3051 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3051: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file...
Error 3075 in Payroll System
Error 3112 in Payroll System
Error 3343 in Payroll System
Error 339: component missing or not properly registered
Error 3421 when Restoring Data
Error 3633 when Starting Payroll System
Error 3800 in Payroll System
Error 380: Invalid property value
Error 381: Invalid property array index
Error 400: Form already displayed; can't show modally
Error 429: ActiveX component cannot create object
Error 429: You don't have an appropriate license to use this functionality
Error 480: Can't create AutoRedraw image
Error 48: Trouble loading DLL
Error 52: Bad file name or number
Error 5: Invalid procedure call
Error 63 and Error 380
Error 6: Overflow
Error 7 when Starting Program
Error 70: Permission Denied
Error 75: Path/File Access Error
Error 9 and Error 381
Error 9 and Error 63
Error TX4OLE invalid property value 1-900
Items "Not Saved"
Message that something "needs to be installed" or "is on CD"
Your Network Data Is Read-Only
CFS Program Interface
Federal/State Tax Planner
Quick Reference Guide
Calendar and Notes
Data File List
Field Details for Numeric Fields
Label Setup Options
Repair Client Database
Using the Editor
Firm Information Screen
Importing/Exporting Client Data
Export Client List
Generic ASCII File Client List
Importing/Exporting Client Data
Lacerte Client List
ProSystem Client List
Table of Contents
Updated by John Logue
Manual installation of the single user version from a download is described below in detail.
Preparation for the installation means doing as the instructions say: close all other programs which can be closed, and disable any anti-virus software you have installed.
Also, make sure you are logged on with administrator permissions:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on User Accounts.
- You should see "Administrator" under your account name.
Step 1: Download the Setup File
- Open your web browser and navigate to www.taxtools.com.
- You will see a menu bar across the screen with "Home" on the left and "Online Products" on the right. Hover your mouse over "Downloads" and click on Download Software.
- Enter your Customer ID and ZIP code, and click Go to download page.
- On the Download CFS Software Page, note the yellow table with your license code. Copy it so that you can use it when you fill out the Firm Information form.
- Scroll down the page until you find the program you wish to install. (Note that for Payroll System, both this year's and last year's programs are posted, so be sure to choose the correct year.) Click the Download button to start the download process.
- Depending on your browser, you may be prompted to "Save," "Save as," or "Download" the file. (If your browser offers you a choice of "Run" or "Save," it is probably best to "Save" the file. That way, if you encounter an error during installation, you don't have to repeat the download.)
Step 2: Locate and Run the Setup File
- Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the Start button.
- Locate the downloaded setup file. The most likely place is your "Downloads" folder. (The file will be named "xxnnnnn.exe," where "xx" is a two-letter abbreviation for the program name, and "yyyyy" is the version number.)
- Double-click the setup file to run it.
- There may be a security warning asking if you want to run the program or allow it to make changes to your system. If so, click the appropriate response to run the file.
- The main window of the setup indicates the name of the program being installed. The sub-window within it is the "Welcome" window. Click the Next button to continue with the installation.
- The "Software License Agreement" window appears. After reading the agreement, click the Yes button to continue with the installation.
- The "Information" window appears. After reading it, click Next to continue with the installation.
- The "Edit Firm Information" window appears:
- Client information (Customer ID, Firm Name and Address) may be filled in if there are programs already installed from this year or last year.
- The License Code may be filled in if there are other CFS programs for this year already installed. If there has been a recent purchase, the License Code should be verified.
- Fill in any missing boxes. If the License Code is not there or has changed and you copied it from the Download page, you can paste it into the field. Boxes after the ZIP code are optional; they are not required for program installation.
- Click Next.
- The "Choose Destination Location" window shows where the program files will be written. It is strongly recommended that you allow the program to be installed to the default location. However, if it is absolutely necessary to install it to a different location, use the Browse button to select a different destination. The "Choose Folder" sub-window shows the path which will be used for the installation. Modify the path as needed. Click Next to continue with the installation.
- When the install is complete, the "Setup Complete" window will appear with the text, "InstallShield Wizard Complete." If a "Yes, I want to launch..." checkbox is available, check it if you wish to launch the program, and click Finish.