Can I get a user’s manual for CFS programs?
How do I contact CFS for technical support?
Where can I get help for Fill-N-Print?
Why can't I order forms and envelopes over the phone?
Why didn’t you tell me to renew my programs?
Why do I need a MyCFS account?
Why does CFS no longer send renewal packets?
Does CFS carry the form to set up Section 125 health plan for an employer?
Does CFS have a penalty and interest calculator?
Display additional client information in the Client List
Filter/Sort Client List
Purge Deleted Clients
Set Client Codes
CSV Import Guidelines
Can my data automatically backup to the cloud?
Data Locations (Default)
Export Client List
Generic ASCII File Client List
How do I back up/restore my data?
How do I backup to and restore from a CD or DVD?
How do I configure automatic backup?
How do I find missing backup data?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new computer?
How do I move CFS programs and data to a new server?
How do I send client data to a colleague via email?
Importing from non-consecutive program years
Importing/Exporting Client Data
Lacerte Client List
Manually Importing Client Data From The Previous Year
ProSystem Client List
Why does Financial Planning Tools indicate restore database is being shared?
Why is the program not automatically backing up?
Entering Data at a Client's Office
How To Download And Install Software From The CFS Website
How do I download and install an update from within the program?
How do I download and install the single user version of a program?
How do I install a program or update in "safe mode?"
How do I install programs from CD?
How do I manually download and install an update?
How do I map a network drive?
How do I perform a network installation?
How do I perform a workstation setup?
Install Procedure - Add private database
Install Procedure - Continue private database next year
Installing in demo mode
Manual installation of a specific program from a CD
Reinstalling and repairing software
Where to download CFS software
Why aren't all the programs I ordered on the CD?
Why does my desktop shortcut open the installer?
Why does the setup tell me to reboot the computer?
Workstation setup locations
Do I need a network license?
How do I change my address or firm name?
How do I edit my license code/firm information?
How does my license code work?
How many computers am I licensed for?
Using a License Code to access a program
What is the purpose of a network license?
Where can I find my Customer ID number?
Where can I find my license code?
Why can't I call to update my firm name/address?
Why does my license code change?
Why does the installer tell me my license code is invalid?
Add, edit, or delete a network user
CFS Program Interface
Calendar and Notes
Label Setup Options
Data File List
Federal/State Tax Planner
Field Details for Numeric Fields
Form 2848 - Power of Attorney
Formatting a field for SSN or EIN
How do I print to a PDF?
Two ways to print from a module
Using the Editor
CA Sales Tax Preparer
MD Personal Property
NY Sales Tax Preparer
Small Business Tools
1099 E-Filing Module Overview
1099 E-Filing Step 1: Inputting Transmitter Data
1099 E-Filing Step 2: Create IRS file
1099 E-Filing Step 3: IRS Submittal
1099 E-Filing Step 4: Create state file
1099 E-Filing Step 5: State Submittal
1099 E-Filing: Checking file status
1099 E-Filing: Filing Corrections
1099 E-Filing: Navigating the IRS FIRE System Website
1099 E-Filing: submitting prior year files
Applying for a Transmitter Control Code (TCC)
Checking Size of Uploaded File
Creating an IRS FIRE account
FIRE System Upload: Navigating to your File
IRS seeks to lower e-filing threshold
Printing Summaries and Reports
Uploading 1099 files to CA SWIFT website
Payroll Return E-filing
E-filing Forms 94x with Payroll System
Modifying Your IRS E-file Application to E-file Forms 94x
Requirements to E-File Forms 94x
CA Forms DE 9 and DE 9C
Texas C3/C4 Employer's Quarterly Report
Applying for a Business Services Online Account
BSO Request access to the SSA Services Suite for Employers
W-2 E-Filing Step 1: Providing Submitter Data
W-2 E-Filing Step 2: Creating an SSA File
W-2 E-Filing Step 3: SSA Submittal
W-2 E-Filing Step 4: Create State File
W-2 E-Filing Step 5: State Submittal
W-2 E-Filing: Checking the Submission Status
W-2 E-Filing: Navigating the SSA's Business Services Online Website
W-2 E-Filing: Navigating the SSA's old Wage File Upload program (Resubmitting a W2 Wage File)
W2 E-Filing Module Overview
Creating Form 8809 Extension files
E-File Format Error W2 and 1099
E-Filing: Copying and pasting file name and path
E-Filing: Create a Cover Letter
IRS FIRE System is down for maintenance for a month every winter
Is the IRS website down?
Creating a local rate schedule file
Live Payroll Setup utility
LivePayroll vs. After-the-Fact Payroll
Opening the Payroll Data grid
Setting up a progressive or rate schedule tax
Setting up employee withholding
Setting up employers and employees in LivePayroll
Setting up hourly employees
Setting up local withholding tax
"The current license code does not allow access..."
Adding employers and payers to the Client List
Direct Deposit in LivePayroll
Do W-2, W-3, 1099, or 1096 forms need to be printed on red forms or on plain paper in black ink?
Does CFS support WA Cares Fund for Long Term Care benefits?
Export client list to Excel
Finding a report of how many forms were prepared
Health Insurance Compensation for 2% Owners of S-Corps
Hourly rate is updated but Payroll System is still calculating at old rate
How to delete an employee
Importing CSV files into Payroll System
Mask an employee's SSN/TIN on printed payee statements
Payroll System Database Reconstruction
Payroll System QuickBooks Import
Printing SSA-approved, black scannable W-2 forms
Printing SSA-approved, black scannable W-3 forms
Repair Client Database
Setting up paycheck items
Setting up vacation & sick leave
Special Database Recovery Detail Instructions
Special Database Recovery Overview
The modules in W2/1099 are in red text instead of black text
Vacation and Sick Leave in LivePayroll
W2/1099: Transferring data between 1099-MISC form and 1099-NEC form
When will Form 940 be released?
When will my program be released (or when will it be updated)?
Where is the 4th Quarter 941 module?
Where's my W2/1099 program?
Client password protection
Customize how a Client's Files are listed
Integrated knowledge base
Managing inactive clients
Removing client password protection
Search for clients, client's files, and tools
Switching products using the Toolbox pulldown
Change screen font size
Connecting to an Existing Network Database
Creating a new network database
Firm Information Screen
How do I add email addresses or usernames for other users to grant them access to TaxTools WorkShop?
Importing clients from other CFS software into TaxTools WorkShop
Importing from Lacerte
Introduction to TaxTools WorkShop
Rolling over client data
Setting: Application Mode
Switching Between Single-User Mode and Network Mode
Using an email address to access a program
"Offline mode has expired"
Error: "An internet connection was not found"
Error: "The program cannot connect to the CFS server"
Licensed software is stuck in demo mode
Troubleshooting internet connectivity
User Account Control (UAC) message: "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"
"Download failed" error
"Error 9 Subscript Out Of Range" when trying to 'Add/Edit Payroll Data'
"Exceeded maximum amount" with respect to Social Security and CA SDI withholdings
"Not Saved" message when saving Firm Information
"Not saved" message when entering or exiting program
"OCX File Missing" or "OCX File Not Registered" error after updating Windows
"Small Fonts and Sans Serif can't be found" when Starting Program
"The feature you are trying to use..."
"Unable to open infobase"
After installation the desktop shortcut icon is wrong
An error occurred during the move data process: -214...
CD install fails with message "Previous installation not found"
CFS Setup runs another vendor's installer
CFSSTRT: Program <File Name> was not Found in Folder <Folder Name> - Install may be Necessary
Change printers in Windows 10
Change printers in Windows 7
Component Not Registered or Component Missing error
Error 1004: Error Accessing Database
Error 12007 "Name not resolved" on Update from the Web
Error 12029 "Cannot Connect" on Update from the Web
Error 12031 when Downloading
Error 16 when Printing Form
Error 1706: No valid source could be found for product ( ). The Windows Installer cannot continue.
Error 2018: Page margins are too large, can't run report
Error 2019 when Printing Report
Error 3022 in Payroll System
Error 3031 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3045 in Payroll System
Error 3049 in Payroll System
Error 3050 in Payroll System
Error 3051 in Payroll System Network Installation
Error 3051 when Restoring Payroll Data
Error 3051: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file...
Error 3075 in Payroll System
Error 3112 in Payroll System
Error 32765 when printing
Error 3343 in Payroll System
Error 339 "File is not correctly registered" During Install
Error 339: CSCMD32.OCX etc failed to self-register
Error 339: THREED32.OCX is not correctly registered
Error 339: VSSPELL6.OCX failed to self-register
Error 339: component missing or not properly registered
Error 3421 when Restoring Data
Error 35756 when Starting Program
Error 35761 when Attempting to Update
Error 35764 when Attempting to Update
Error 3633 when Starting Payroll System
Error 3800 in Payroll System
Error 380: Invalid property value
Error 381: Invalid property array index
Error 400: Form already displayed; can't show modally
Error 429 when Printing Form
Error 429: ActiveX component cannot create object
Error 429: You don't have an appropriate license to use this functionality
Error 480: Can't create AutoRedraw image
Error 482 when Trying to Print
Error 484 when Trying to Print
Error 48: Trouble loading DLL
Error 5001 on Installation
Error 5003 during Print Preview
Error 52: Bad file name or number
Error 53: File Not Found
Error 5: Invalid procedure call
Error 63 and Error 380
Error 6: Overflow
Error 7 when Starting Program
Error 70: Permission Denied
Error 75: Path/File Access Error
Error 9 and Error 381
Error 9 and Error 63
Error 94 - Invalid Use Of Null: When Trying To Add/Edit Payroll Data
Error Message: "A previous version of [program] was not found..."
Error Message: "Not a Valid Win32 Executable"
Error Message: "Version of the application could not be determined"
Error Message: "Zip file damaged"
Error TX4OLE invalid property value 1-900
Error Using Font - There was an error using the font OCR-ACFS [Payroll System Only]
Error: "Installed Version Could Not Be Determined"
Form is missing text and/or graphics (boxes, shading and lines)
Forms print on both sides of the paper
Importing Data from the Prior Year: Only Client Demographic Data is Imported, No Client Folder Data is Imported
Install / Uninstall: Setup Runs Another Vendor's Installer
Installer's Repair option freezes on EXE files
Items "Not Saved"
MICR Font Not Installed - The MICR font necessary to print on blank check stock is not installed
Mapped network drives are not visible during installation
Message During Automatic Backup: Change Backup Location - The Specified Location Cannot Be Used For The Backup
Message that something "needs to be installed" or "is on CD"
Modules do not load and no error is displayed
Move Data Process Errors
OCR-A (or OCR-ACFS) font is not properly installed
Printing paychecks freezes Payroll System
Printouts are crunched into a small area at the top of the paper
Program Crashes Without Error Message when Printing
Program freezes after displaying Error 52: "Bad file name or number"
QBXML Query Response Error
Setup Stalls During Full Install
Still Running Old Version after Update
The top of the window is off screen
Update Setup Reports File Is Locked
Update Setup Stalls
When printing red forms all pages are blank
Your Network Data Is Read-Only
Table of Contents
Updated by John Logue
Installation of CFS program(s) from a CD is described below in detail.
Preparation for the installation means doing as the instructions say: close all other programs which can be closed, and disable any anti-virus software you have installed.
Also, make sure you are logged on with administrator permissions:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on User Accounts.
- You should see "Administrator" under your account name.
Installing the Program(s)
- Put the CD in the CD drive tray and close it. On most computers, the CFS installer will run automatically. If the installer does not run automatically:
- Open Windows Explorer (right-click on Start button), and identify the drive which contains the CD by the CFS logo. Note the drive letter, and close Windows Explorer. (If you do not see the CFS logo or any files or folders listed for the CD drive, there may be a problem with the CD or with the drive. Installation cannot proceed until the problem is fixed.)
- Once you know the drive letter for the CD drive, click on the Start button, and in the "Search programs and files" box type, "X:\setup," where X stands for the letter of the CD drive.
- The "CFS Software Installer" window should appear, with a sub-window titled "Welcome."
- Click "Next."
- The "Information" window will appear. Click "Next" to continue.
- The "Edit Firm Information" window will appear. Fill in the form using the information from your CD mailing label or receipt. The fields after ZIP code are optional.
- If there are programs installed on your system which are also on the CD, the next window will be "Select Programs to Update." There will be a list of programs that are on both your computer and the CD, indicating those that should be updated. Click "Next" to update the highlighted programs. (If there are no programs on the CD that are also installed on the computer, this window will not appear.)
- The "Select New Programs to Install" window will appear, with a list of programs that are on the CD but not installed on the computer.
- Programs that are licensed by your license code are highlighted.
- Programs that are not licensed can be selected for installation in DEMO mode by clicking on them.
- Programs that are selected but should not be installed on this computer can be deselected by clicking on them.
- When the programs to be installed have been highlighted (either automatically or manually), click "Finish" to proceed with installations.
- A dialog box will appear, asking whether you wish to continue with the installations. Click "Yes" to proceed.
- Instead of "CFS Software Installer," the main window will now indicate the name of the program being installed. The sub-window within is the "Welcome" window. Click "Next" to continue to the "Choose Destination Location" window.
- The "Choose Destination Location" window shows where the program files will be written. It is strongly recommended that you allow the program to be installed to the default location. However, if it is absolutely necessary to install it to a different location, use the Browse button to select a different destination. The "Choose Folder" sub-window shows the path which will be used for the installation. Modify the path as needed. (If you are installing on a network, see How do I perform a network setup?) Click Next to continue with the installation.
- When the install is complete, the "Setup Complete" window will appear with the text, "InstallShield Wizard Complete." If a "Yes, I want to launch..." checkbox is available, check it if you wish to launch the program, and click Finish.