Table of Contents

W-2 E-Filing: Wisconsin

Nina Tchistiakova Updated by Nina Tchistiakova

Due date

January 31

E-filing threshold

10 or more

Filing options

Electronic filing

Transmittal form

Form WT-7 refer to:

Required file name

Specifications do not specify a file name

E-filing website


Kelly Niesen (608) 261-2261,

Michael Ude (608) 261-5161,

Chris Roberts

Submitting files

Employers or transmitters who wish to electronically transfer W-2 data and have less than 50 wage statements may still do so. Wisconsin encourages electronic transfer reporting for companies with less than 50 employees.

Every employer or other payer withholding Wisconsin income tax from payments made in 2021 must file an annual reconciliation of Wisconsin income tax withheld (WT-7). Electronic filing options include:

My Tax Account – Free online filing and payment system.

Telefile– Enter your annual reconciliation using a touch tone phone.

To file electronically go to the website: and click on the "Ready to Transfer EFW2"

If you do not have a Wisconsin withholding number and are not required to withhold, enter 036888888888801 in the wage or information return box titled "Employer State ID Number."

Employers or transmitters who wish to submit a test file may do so, however a test file is not required. If you do wish to submit a test file see the instructions below:

• Test files may be transmitted any time.

• On the file transmission page click on the “yes” radial button. Your test file will be immediately validated.

Upon submitting a file you will receive a 13 digit receipt number. If there are errors or problems with your data, your file will be rejected and you will receive an error message. You will need to correct the error and resubmit your file.

Employers may request a 30-day extension for filing W-2s and 1099s with the department.

If the change affects Wisconsin withholding reported on the reconciliation, you must file an amended reconciliation. Only send W-2c and 1099 statements that affect the filing of the reconciliation.

If you have withholding or wage statement questions, contact us at: (608) 266-2776, or

How did we do?

W-2 E-Filing: West Virginia

W-2 E-Filing: Wisconsin - Corrected W-2C